Genrefication – Final results!

I just realized I never finished up and talked about my final results!!!

So, it took me roughly a week to relabel everything.  Then, came the moving.  THAT was probably one of the most difficult things to do… and made more interesting by the fact that I was collaborating with one of the ELA teachers on book speed dating!

It actually helped that we had the speed dating right around the same time that I was genrefying.  First, it helped students to see that there were changes being made.  It also helped students discover what genres interested them.  Finally, it allowed me to start the shuffle of books!  That was the best part I think.

I have seen most people easily shift their books on their carts.  But, as I stated in an earlier post, I had a previous librarian shelve books by title…. so the best thing for me was to take the books all down, one genre or so at a time, empty some shelves, and then re-alphabetize them.  Was it a pain…. um, yes.  But, in a lot of ways it was good because I was able to actually touch, assess, and really look at my collection.

This slideshow requires JavaScript.

The shift took me another few days, but the end result = awesome!

My students have been very happy with the result.  I have heard many many times how much “easier” it is to find things that they want to read.  I’ve had students ask me for suggestions in their “genres,” students go right to the colored section they know they’ll enjoy, and it really is so much easier to direct people!

img_1240-2

It’s done!  A panoramic view

But wait.  What about the catalog???  Well, I did what many people did: I changed the sublocation in Destiny to the genre. Of course when I want to, I can’t find the directions I used, and so I’ll have to save that for another post (I’m thinking I’m going to be busy at break!)

Advertisements

Genrefying – Part 2 – Labels

So, in part one I talked about how I was writing the genre in every book cover.  This took forever!  Well, it felt like it.  It took more like 4 more days.

I noticed something during that time – there was no way that Sci Fi and Fantasy could stay together.  There are way too many in that category to stay together.  And, it was something I considered anyhow, since I could justify having them together, but kind of not.  So, like any sane librarian, I Googled to see what others did.  I found some who kept them together; others did not.  And I could see why – one belongs with magic and spells, witchcraft, etc.  The other belongs with dystopian, with futuristic, with robots.  So, I decided to separate them.  But this led to another problem – labels.

As I showed last post, I had my categories set.  I had actually already purchased my labels (this was an exciting adventure, but one for another post) so I was stuck.  Or so I thought.  I then realized my romance section wasn’t as large as some of the others, and so by not labeling the graphic novels, I had what I needed.  🙂  So, of course I had to switch around colors.  Now, romance/relationships are purple, Sci-Fi is blue, Action/Adventure is red.  It works.

So, back to genrefying books.  As I said it took me close to 4 days just to get every book labeled with its genre.  It definitely took time!  I recommend anyone who does this to be patient and have perseverance.  There were times I wanted to just stop.  But, I got through it.

By that point, my colored labels came in.  It was an exciting day when they came in.  And it was perfect, because at that point I was working on a collaborative project with one of the ELA teachers in my building.  She does speed book dating, which I’ll get to in another post.  So, getting books labeled with extremely important to do, and do quickly.  But, there was a slight hitch – the former librarian chose to relabel book series with the start of the series title instead of the authors name.  So, I have to go back and relabel the spine labels and then put the genre labels on.  So, more time.  With 4 days in, I”m about 75% done with the fiction labeling.  I mostly just have to print and relabel spine labels and then put the genre labels on.  But, it’s going!

Oh, my favorite thing.  My students have been watching me do this for now 2 weeks if they come in the library, which most do when they need something from the printer.  The look at me and one day, one asked, “Ms Becker, are you going to have to do this to all the books?!?” Yes, yes I am.  But the end result will be worth it.

Genrefying – Part 1

So, I have decided to genrefy my new library.  Not only have I wanted to genrefy, but I feel that should help circulation.  I have seen many sites and articles stating that.  So, this is my story.

I’m starting with going through the collection and writing small on the inside cover what section it belongs to.  And I’m noticing some things.  First.  I don’t have a section for something that several books belong to, and they don’t seem to belong to something else… this is frustrating.  Had I realized, I would have ordered more/different labels.  So, I may be switching things around…. Second.  This takes a hecka long time!  I worked for around 2 hours today and got three shelves done.  That’s not including the new books I already got, plus the ones on my reshelving cart which I also got.  So, this will definitely take several more days, depending on interruptions.

Then, of course, there is the labeling itself. I just (excitedly) ordered my supplies for this.  Excited because I got to actually order myself, but that’s another story for another post.  But, yeah, they are ordered and hopefully won’t take too long to get here.  Hence why I’m doing the genre figuring out first.   I also have to relabel a hecka lot of books… another story though.

Overall, I’m excited for this project.  It is a labor of love.  But, as I talk it up more to people, I’m definitely getting some buy in.  We shall see…

 

My current genre list…