So, I’ve done BreakoutEDU’s before. Both as a participant and facilitator. They’re awesome. (Sidenote – if you haven’t tried one, you must!) Escape rooms meets education.
I want to do a breakoutEDU for my library. But I don’t want one that’s already been made, because I want it to be tailored to my library. So, I want to make my own.
Ok. Full disclaimer. It’s FREAKING hard to create one! They make it look so easy. It’s not. Just sayin’.
So this is something I have been working on for several weeks. I have the direction one down, but the rest….? yeah, no.
But then. I realized I had a presentation to do for my music fraternity. It was a week out from the presentation. What could I present? … and then I started thinking. And thinking. And it hit me. I could make a breakout for it!
Ok, so you may be thinking – you just said it was freaking hard! Yes, yes I did. But somehow, and I don’t know how, I was able to create this breakout. Within two days I came up with this breakout! I started thinking, I started researching, I grabbed my SAI History book (not a thin book!), and went to work designing it. And by the end of the week, I had a full breakout game.
And then I had to present it.
So, the hard part of this is that you have to have at least a little bit of knowledge of my music fraternity in order to figure out the locks. So, I couldn’t have just a regular person test it. So, my first test run was for my presentation. I did give a disclaimer that my groups were my guinea pigs, and then let them to it.
They loved it!
I did learn a few things. My directional one was the hardest clue. It wasn’t clear, and that make it difficult. I had to give hints a lot there. But, otherwise, the ones who tried it loved it!
I’m hoping that since I now have created one (which, of course, like any good thing, needs to be revisited and revised to make better), I am looking towards the library breakout with new eyes. It’s still hard to create, but I now know I can.